Posted by Steve on November 29, 2017

I bought these tires from Mavis Tire. BFG KO2 Tire Size: LT275/60R20. They gave me my 2017 ram 1500 back with 38 psi as per sticker on door panel. Is this psi too low? Please let me know as I’m traveling this weekend with my truck. The specs I see on the tires are 275/60R20 119/116 S. Load range D PR8. DOT BF2P. Max load 65 psi. From specs below it seems my tires are way under inflated. Please let me know what PSI I should inflate my tires too. Is my current 38 psi too low? Tire uses LT-Metric tire size standard, with tread width of 275 mm or 10.83", aspect ratio of 60%, sidewall height of 165 mm or 6.5", and rim diameter of 20" or 508 mm. Tire Load Index: 119 Tire has a load index of 119, with maximum load carrying capacity of 2998 pounds or 1360 kilograms per each tire. Tire Speed Rating: S Tire has a speed rating of S that allows for maximum service speed of 112 miles or 180 kilometers per hour. Maximum Tire Pressure: 65 psi / 4.48 bar Tire has a maximum tire inflation pressure of 65 psi or 4.48 bar per tire as set by tire manufacturer. Maximum Tire Pressure - Dual Rear Tires: 65 psi / 4.48 bar

Answers / Replies
  • Posted by Serge on December 04, 2017

Your car door label indicates recommended tire pressure of 38 psi for your 2017 RAM 1500. That is your proper tire pressure. Tire pressure value indicated on the sidewall of your tires is not your recommended tire pressure, it is the maximum tire pressure your that tire can be inflated too to support its maximum load carrying capacity. Meaning that you only inflate those tires to 65 psi if you plan to carry 4 x 2998 lbs. You can inflate your tires a bit more if you vehicle is loaded with extra weight, but as far as recommended tire pressure I would stick to the values on the door label. Here you can find more recommended tire pressure settings based on your RAM trim - 2017 Ram 1500 Tire Pressure.

• Posted by Peterp on December 06, 2017

You need axle weights and car-maker uses gross axle weight ratings (GAWR) to calculate the needed pressure. Can be found on same plate as pressure advice. Then add 10% to those (front and rear different). Calculate the pressure linear so axle weight +10% / 2 x max load a tire (2998 lbs) x 65 psi, and you can drive up to 99 mph or 160 km/h fully loaded, without overheating the tires. Official formula, I once got hold of, comes to a bit lower pressure so never wrong. Can even be that for this LT tire the max load of 3000 lbs is given for that 180 km/h or 112 mph. But who cares , you will never do this high speed. If outcome then is this 38 psi, you know it is not too low.

Find Tire Pressure - find recommended tire inflation pressure for your car, light truck, minivan, crossover, SUV, motorcycle, sports bike, dirt bike or scooter.

Discount Tire Pressure Products - buy discount tire pressure sensors, tire pressure gauges, tire inflators & air compressors, tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS), tire pressure tools and accessories.

Tire Pressure Forum - tire pressure and tire inflation topics, questions and answers.

Tire Pressure Guide - tire pressure and tire inflation facts, tips and suggestions.

Tire Pressure Charts - tire pressure charts and tire inflation tables.

Tire Pressure Calculators - tire pressure unit conversion, gas savings calculator, tire pressure temperature calculator, and more.